August 21, 2012

A Little Good News (Finally)!

Over the last week Baby Girl's heartrate has begun improving. The nurses and doctors are all super excited and say it looks like her heart might finally be healing itself. It rarely drops down into the 60's and the skips are becoming pretty infrequent as well. The ultrasounds are looking great, her movement is (painfully) constant, and her measurements are all spot on.

She still needs monitoring, but because she has improved so much they have decided I only need to come in once a week for an NST/ultrasound and once a week for a regular OB appointment. This is a DEFINITE improvement from having to drive up there three times a week!

In addition, the doctor told me at yesterday's appointment that I can now attempt a VBAC if I would like to. Honestly, I can't decide. I have to admit it was a little convenient when they told me it just wouldn't be possible, taking the decision out of my hands. Now it's up to me again and it's definitely not an easy decision.

August 4, 2012

Pre-Eclampsia

While at my "regular" ultrasound yesterday we were all shocked to see that my blood pressure was through the roof (as if we didn't have enough to worry about with Baby Girl's heart problems). The doc kept checking on it and after slowly dropping over a few hours it was still much higher than he liked, so he sent me up to Labor and Deliver for testing and more monitoring.

While in L&D my blood pressure did come back down within acceptable levels, though it was still pretty high for me. That, coupled with my recent symptoms (lightheaded, headaches, nausea, minor swelling, occasional contractions) and the tests that came back with elevated protein levels, led the doctors to believe I am developing Pre-Eclampsia. Again. Since I had it with Conner (HERE is that story, if you haven't read it yet) they weren't extremely surprised, but because we want Baby Girl's heart to grow as big and strong as possible before she's born they are taking this early stage seriously, before any major symptoms set in and they are forced to deliver early.

Unfortunately Pre-E isn't something that might get better over time. We are just hoping it will progress very slowly like it did with Conner, since the only "cure" is to deliver.

So now I'm on "modified bedrest." I will talk to the doc on Monday about what exactly that means, but from what the nurses explained it basically means do as little as possible. I'm allowed to occasionally be up and doing light things, like making quick meals, but I should be off my feet as much as possible and doing all I can to keep my blood pressure down.

My goal is to make it to 39 weeks (though 37 may be more realistic). I am at 35 weeks now so we are almost there!

Heart Problems

There has been some confusion regarding what exactly is going on with Baby Girl, so I'd like to take a little time to fill everyone in.

As of right now, she has what's known as a Premature Atrial Contraction (PAC) which means her heart is firing incorrectly and skipping beats. When it started out it wasn't a big deal and the heart rate averaged in the 130's-150's (yay!) even though it was skipping. The doctors weren't too concerned, stating that it would most likely clear up on its own and less than 1% of babies have any further issues. After a few weeks of regular monitoring and ultrasounds the heartrate began dropping down into the 60's and 70's. That slow rhythm is known as a Bradychardia. When the doctors first noticed the Bradychardia they kept thinking they were picking up mine instead of hers. After doing another ultrasound though, they realized that nope, it was definitely her. The doctors informed me we are now part of that less than 1% and would need more tests and monitoring.

At that point it was determined that we needed to meet with a fetal cardiologist for an in-depth fetal echocardiogram. The purpose of this was to confirm that there wasn't an obvious physical defect in the heart and surrounding areas that could be causing the PAC/Bradychardia. Thankfully the cardiologist didn't find any structure problems or excess fluid, though she said that small muscular and minor valve issues could be present that just can't be seen with a fetal echo. She recommended an EKG once the baby is born and said if Baby Girl is having problems after birth she may need medication.

This is good. Everyone was concerned that it might be serious enough to require immediate delivery, surgery, and a pace maker. So this is good.

In the meantime Baby Girl and I are now going to appointments every Monday and Friday where we do an in-depth ultrasound and non-stress test. These appointments typically last anywhere from 2-4 hours. We also have a regular OB appointment on Wednesdays just to keep an eye on the heartbeat. The doctors don't want too many days to lapse in between appointments in case the heart develops any new issues or begins to deteriorate. We also have an appointment with the Neonatologist next week to discuss what's going on, how these problems will affect the birth, and how they will affect her after the birth. Hopefully this will be another "good" appointment simply giving us reassurance and best case scenarios, but the fact that the Neonatologist is getting involved at all means that this is not a minor issue to be taken lightly. Right now we are at a "wait and see" point. If the PAC/Bradychardia continues to remain the same, there is every chance we should be able to make it to full term. If something shows up on one of the ultrasounds, or the heartrate drops into the 50's, we will revisit the possibility of early delivery.

We will continue updating this blog regularly to keep everyone informed in an attempt to avoid misinformation. Please let me know if you have any questions and continue to keep Baby Girl in your thoughts and prayers.

August 3, 2012

Wow, it's hard to believe that it's been almost 2 years since our last post. I guess we've just been so busy that this blog just completely slipped my mind!

Now that we are expecting another baby (surprise! oh wait, you knew already?), it seems like it's about time to get this blog up and running again. Especially since this pregnancy is becoming so much more complicated than the last. Now we will be able to keep everyone updated at once, rather than making a million phone calls after every appointment.

So, without further ado, let us begin with the oh-so-important ultrasound pics!




Isn't she a cutie?!? We can't wait to meet her!!!